Preventing a fire in your residence
Cooking equipment is the leading cause of apartment fires.
  • Never leave cooking unattended.
  • Keep stove top and oven clean and grease free.
  • Remove all combustibles, like paper bags from the area around the stove.

Heating Equipment
Heating Equipment is the second leading cause of apartment fires.

  • When using space or base board heaters provide at least a 36 inch clearance from combustibles.
  • Chimneys and heating systems should be cleaned and serviced at least annually.
  • Never use charcoal or unvented appliances like gas stoves to heat your apartment.
  • Use sturdy non-tip ashtrays.
  • Never smoke in bed or when you are tired.
  • Charcoal briquettes can remain hot for several days. Cool with water and place in metal containers with a lid.
  • Cool ashes and cigarette butts with water. Dispose in metal containers with lid.

Matches/Lighters/Flammable Liquids
Children + Matches = FIRE

  • Unattended children can be fire setters. Report suspicious activity to the Police Department.
  • Store matches and lighters out of sight and reach for children.
  • Gasoline, paints, thinners, and other flammable liquids should never be stored indoors.


  • Obtain Renters Insurance - apartment owners insurance rarely covers the contents of individual apartments.
  • Gas grills on balconies cause deadly fires and generally are not allowed. Contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 441-7791 for more details.
  • Provide sturdy, deep, non-tip ash trays for your balcony.
  • Purchase a Carbon Monoxide detector to protect you from this deadly odorless gas.
Life Safety is Everyone's business - Be Fire Safety Conscious!
Return to list